Thursday, January 6, 2011

Jul, ski, og Nyttårs!

It's Norwegian Class time, so that means I have nothing to do. I worked a bit on my Rotary presentation (25 minute presentation about me, all in Norwegian), tried to work in my Norwegian workbook but I didn't have a pen, so my last resort for entertainment is writing a blog.

A lot has happend over the past few weeks...

CHRISTMAS: Christmas was really nice here in Norway. It didn't feel like christmas at all. If it wasn't for all of the family dinners, I would have never guessed it was Christmas. The big deal in Norway, is Christmas Eve. Everything happens on Christmas Eve. Me and my host family went to my host mom's sister's house in Oslo. It was a nice and cozy evening. We were given glogg (a warm apple cider type drink with cinnamon and other intense spices and rasins and almonds in the mug) as soon as we walked in the door. Then the kids opened up a couple presents. After that we finally sat down for dinner. We ate pinnekjøt, which is dried lamb, potatoes (of course), and mashed kohlrabi. It was all really good. Then for desert, we had riskrem, which is made from the leftovers of risgrøt (talked about in last post) mixed with whipped cream, and with a berry sause on top. I'm kind of sad that throughout the entire Christmas season I never found an almond in my risgrøt or riskrem. What a sad life I live. ;) After dinner and desert, it was time to open up the rest of the presents. One thing that was really different from U.S Christmas is that on Christmas Eve they brought over all their presents, even from their other grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends, ect. I ended up getting some socks, gloves, coffee, money, some boots (which have definitely come in handy now that there is almost a foot of snow on the ground), and a hand painited mug from my host brother(which is probably my favorite gift). And that was the end of Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning I stuck to my traditions and ripped open my presents that were under my tiny little tree my grandma sent me. Sadly, Santa Clause forgot about me in Norway. But the gifts from my Mom and Grandparents sufficed. I also gave my host family their gifts on Chistmas morning. The next two days were full of family visits. Basicly it envolved me trying really hard to understand all of the Norwegian, eating a bunch, and drinking as much Julebrus as I could, I love the stuff. I don't know what I'll do next year without it.

(Christmas Eve)



(the meal)

(Christmas from home: package number 1)

(Christmas from home: package number 2)

(My presents to my host siblings)


(my mug from my host brother)

The Tuesday after Christmas, my host family and I travled to Sweden for a week of skiing! Before I left, my Christmas package from my Dad, Grandparents, and my aunt and uncle came in the mail. So once again I put them under my tiny tree and opened them with as much ecitement as a 9 year old on christmas morning! In Sweden, we stayed in a cabin with our neighbors. They have young kids too, so once agian I was with people half my age, and double my age, but it was still nice, I've become used to it. The first day of skiing, we went on a 10km cross county ski trip. I had gone cross country skiing once before with my host family so I knew what to do, but still I think I had the skills of a well trained 10 year old. I only fell 4 times.
The next day we went downhill skiing. I hadn't been downhill skiing for at least 6 years. I was gently nursed back into downhill skiing by my host parents taking me all the way to the top of the mountain, re-teaching me how to turn and then sent on my way.... bad idea. I ended up going really fast down the slope unable to stop. I was quite scared that I was going to have to go that fast down the entire slope. Luckly I fell. Then our neighbor, Ann Kristin, taught me how to propperly stop. The rest of the day went well. I think there was only 2 times where I went down the entire slope with out falling. My various falls included: running into a tree, tripping over a snowboarder, and falling REALLY hard on my back making my neck feel really good! The views from both the top of the slope and all the way down the slope were incredible! I wish I could have taken my camera, but as you see with my reputation on skis, that would not have worked too well. I would have probably come down the slope with my camera shattered into many pieces.
I celebrated New Years Eve in Sweden as well. We went downhill skiing in the morning and afternoon. Then in the evening, we had a nice dinner of moose steak, mushrooms, potatoes (of course), and vegtables. I made everyone name cards, and one of the neighbor girls made napkin flowers. It was koselig! The rest of the night consisted of an Abba dance party with the kids and the parents, fireworks at midnight, and then me teaching the Y.M.C.A to everyone before going to bed.

(the table on New Years Eve)

(My place)

(Fireworks at midnight)

And that was the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment