Sunday, August 15, 2010

letter 2: Hello Norway!

Dear readers,
I am finally in Norway! All I have to say is WOW! It is SO beautiful here!
My first day in Norway was packed full of fists. There was so much to try and experiance. I think overall it was a successful first day. I was picked up at the airport by a Rotarian whose name may or may not be Ole, I'm really not sure. He took me to his house and we ate sanwiches with a fork and a knive. It was very difficult. I was feeling adventurous so I put smoked salmon on my sandwich. That was a mistake. It took everything I had to choke it down. After talking for a while, he took me to my first Norwegian home! After a tour of the home i unpacked my things into this wonderful room:
Then Wenchie (my host Mom) decided to take Teodore (my host brother), his friend, and myself to the Oslo Fjords to swim. We get there, and much to my suprise, Norwegians do not use changing rooms. So we all changed out in the open with nothing but a towl wrapped around my wast to cover myself! :)

(I jumped from the second highest platform)

On the second day we took a 2 hour car ride to the family's cottage in the mountains. It was BEAUTIFUL there! We were only at the cabin long enough to drop off a key. We came down the mountain and ate dinner at a cafe. Christian (my host dad) ordered me an elk burger! Little did I know that I was going to be eating it with a fork and knife! Try it.. go eat a hamburger with a fork and knive..It's SO difficult! my plate was SO messy after eating it!

(me and Teodore at the Colbolt mines)
(the family's cabin)
(Teodore)
(The mountains)

In other news, my Norwegian is AWEFUL. I didn't expect it to be great, but its still frustrating. It frustrates me the most that I can't talk to Teodore. He smiles and is suprized when I can actually say something to him in Norwegian! It makes my day!

thats all for now,

Devin

1 comment:

  1. If the rotarian had curly red-ish hair, I think it was Ole. He's really funny and was my grand fathers best man in his wedding.

    ReplyDelete